April HulstBankruptcy, Estate Planning, Probate and Civil Litigation
April Hulst is a partner at CBH Attorneys & Counselors, where she specializes in bankruptcy, estate planning, probate and general civil litigation.
Prior to joining CBH Attorneys & Counselors, April practiced in Chicago for 4 years and managed a local Grand Rapids office for a multi-state bankruptcy firm. She is licensed in both Michigan and Illinois.
April is active in the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan for the Western Region and has served as the President, Vice President and Secretary in the past few years. She is a member of Local Rules Committee for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan, Inforum, the Federal Bar Association of Western Michigan and Debtors Bar of West Michigan.
In 2017, April and her partner Carol Chase were recognized as a finalist for Top Women Owned Businesses by the Grand Rapids Business Journal. This event is held to honor and celebrate women entrepreneurs.
April received her undergraduate degree from Illinois State University and her law degree from Valparaiso University School of Law. April lives in Forest Hills with her husband and two children.
- Valparaiso University School of Law, Juris Doctor (2005)
- Illinois State University, Bachelor of Science (2002)
- Michigan (2008)
- Illinois (2005)
- U.S. District Court for Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for Northern District of Illinois
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Western Region
- President (2017-2018)
- Vice President (2016-2017)
- Secretary (2015-2016)
- Board Member (2015 – Present)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Local Rules Committee
- Debtors Bar of West Michigan, Member
- Federal Bar Association of West Michigan, Member
- Inforum, Member
- State Bar of Michigan Probate and Estate Planning Section, Member
- New Local Rules, 9th Annual Conference Debtors Bar Association of West Michigan (2019)
- Post Petition Income in Chapter 13: Mine! Mine! Mine!, Federal Bar Association 30th Annual Bankruptcy Section Seminar (2018)
- 25 Things You Need To Know Before You Die, Widowed Persons Service (2018)
- Chapter 13 Basics, The Office of the Chapter 13 Trustee of West Michigan (2016)
- Client Intake, Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Boot Camp (2016)
- Overview of Estate Planning, Unity Church of Peace (2015)
- Ask the Lawyer, WGVU TV Ask The … with Shelly Irwin (2015)
- Managing Client Expectations, Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Boot Camp (2014)
- Preparation of a Chapter 13 Plan, Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Boot Camp (2013)
- You think you know bankruptcy, but you may be surprised, Grand Rapids Business Journal (2018)
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Celebrates 100th Anniversary, Grand Rapids Lawyer (2018)
- Top Lawyers: Grand Rapids Magazine (2019)
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2019 Rising Star, Bankruptcy